Entrepreneurial spark. Insatiable curiosity. That’s what drives the public relations, advertising and public affairs professionals that make up KGBTexas Communications. It’s in our DNA.
We’re passionate about creating ideas that reach the people our clients want to connect with, and then moving those ideas into action to have positive consequence in the community. We’re good at asking why, and even better at asking why not. That attitude has taken us far and allowed us to create successful and long-lasting partnerships with our clients, our communities and ourselves. It’s why we do what we do.
KGBTexas Communications, currently ranked No. 9 on Houston Business Journal’s list of Best Places to Work, is looking for a senior PR professional with outstanding communication skills to serve as the agency’s primary client contact and strategic lead for assigned accounts. Day-to-day responsibilities include cultivating and nurturing strong working relationships with clients; developing and implementing effective PR strategies, goals and tactics; planning and executing successful campaigns; fostering solid working relationships with key media contacts and outlets; and analyzing and reporting of campaign performance.
Job Title: Public Relations Media Specialist
Job Location: Houston, Texas 77005
Relocation Expense: No
Reports To: Group Account Manager
Direct Reports: N/A
- Work with clients, senior leadership and account leads to develop and implement client public relations goals, strategies and tactics, including those specific to media relations.
- Manage day-to-day media relations activities and media requests for assigned clients.
- Provide counsel and strategic guidance regarding media relations outreach and activities as appropriate.
- Assist account teams in the preparation of public relations materials, including news releases, media advisories and pitches.
- Assist account teams in pitching stories to the media and aggressively pursue coverage for clients.
- Develop strategic editorial calendars/timelines, media lists and other similar items for clients as appropriate.
- Maintain strong relations with client contacts and spokespeople as appropriate.
- Maintain strong relationships with current media contacts and work to foster new relationships; stays abreast of personnel changes at media outlets.
- Maintain strong working knowledge of media-relations tools, such as Cision, Burrelles and other similar services.
- Monitor media industry for evolving trends, changes and new opportunities.
- Assist account teams in the creation of content including bylined articles, media interview preparation documents, speaking points and other materials as appropriate.
- Work with leadership to help evaluate the effectiveness of media programs and communicate results to clients.
- Assist/participate in new business opportunities as appropriate.
- Serve as a member of the agency’s in-house research team.
- Work with account teams to stay within budget parameters.
- Distribute clips/coverage information to client and team as appropriate.
- Maintain a positive attitude and represents KGBTexas in a professional, trustworthy manner.
- Enter time on a daily basis.
- Maintain organized files.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the screening of potential new employees as needed.
- Assist with new employee orientation training.
- Attend internal meetings including staff and PR departmental meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, English, Marketing or related field.
- At least three years of professional media relations experience.
- Proficiency in AP writing style.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to adapt well to change and manage risk and uncertainty with poise.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously. Must work well under changing and multiple deadlines.
- Manage and organize projects and initiatives with strong attention to detail and excellent work product.
- Work independently with limited supervision and relative autonomy.
- Proven record in building effective media-relations campaigns resulting in media coverage for clients.
- Agency and/or media experience preferred.
- Working in a fast-paced environment a plus.
If you like the sound of our philosophy, we’d like to hear from you.